Summer Babe Ruth Registration Now Open
UpdatedThursday June 11, 2020 byBrian Fiorello.
Hello Babe Ruth Baseball Families!
The Ithaca Babe Ruth League (IBRL) is opening registration for the Summer 2020 Babe Ruth (14U and 16U) baseball season. The IBRL Board is deeply committed to providing local athletes with the very best baseball experience possible in a safe environment. Thus, at present, IBRL is awaiting guidance from the New York State and local health departments as well as the City of Ithaca regarding the resumption of outdoor athletics in accordance with the NYS COVID-19 phased re-opening plan.
Ithaca (Tompkins County) is part of Southern Tier Region for COVID-19 reporting and monitoring and, presently, is in Phase 2 whereas the opening of public recreational activities, such as baseball, is permissible in Phase 4. Each phase is a minimum of 14 days and ascent to Phase 3 and, hopefully, Phase 4 will largely depend on public health metrics within the Southern Tier. The earliest start of Phase 4 for our region will be June 26th. Thus, we are optimistic as we look forward into July and the possibility of providing a baseball experience for local ballplayers this summer. Regardless of if or when we play this summer, the IBRL’s highest priority remains the health, safety, and well-being of our athletes, families, fans, and volunteers.
- It’s not too late! Registration for the BR summer league was delayed due to the COVID-19 quarantine, uncertainty surrounding the re-opening plan, and, hence, if and when we can play ball.
- Online registration is OPEN and will remain open until Friday, June 26th. Go to http://ithacabaseball.com/site/ and log in or create an account.
- Please make sure your athlete is registered for the correct division: 14U Prep or 16U Babe Ruth. Players must be within the age range for each division - 13-14 years of age for 14U Prep and 15-16 years of age for 16U Babe Ruth – as of April 30, 2020.
- 13U and 15U Travel Team athletes are encouraged to register as well, as they will receive a courtesy roster spot free of charge.
- We will roster players based on birthdate (not their parent’s choice).
- The Babe Ruth summer season typically features a 10- to 12-game schedule, plus a week of playoffs.
- Ithaca Babe Ruth typically collaborates with the Quad County Babe Ruth league (Lansing, Dryden, Trumansburg, etc.) for a joint summer season. This partnership allows the opportunity to create two divisions – 14U Prep (ages 13-14) and 16U Babe Ruth (ages 15-16).
- Given the COVID-19 phased re-opening plan and uncertainty surrounding a start date, we are working with regional teams and, if permitted to play, will execute a full- or abbreviated schedule across July and possibly into early August.
What’s Next: Timing, Commitment to Safety, and Alternatives
- We are in a holding pattern until Phase 4 of the NYS re-opening plan and awaiting guidance from state, county, and city officials.
- Safety first. IBRL has received and is committed to executing safeguards provided by Babe Ruth Headquarters to mitigate the risk of exposure to COVID-19 during organized events (practices and games). Please visit the BR COVID-19 plan for more details: BR COVID-19 Plan. With that said, we will integrate these guidelines with those forthcoming by state and local offices.
- Full refunds will be provided in the event that we are unable to play games this summer or upon request by families.
- Alternative baseball. IBRL is exploring alternative formats (e.g., low-density clinics and skill-development practices) to provide interested athletes with baseball opportunities this summer and/or fall. These clinics/practices will be provided at minimum cost to families (e.g., field rental, baseballs, disinfectant) and will be conducted in accordance to safety guidelines.
We are also seeking coaches for our summer Babe Ruth teams. If interested in coaching, contact Shawn Kenaley at firstname.lastname@example.org.